Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
Small hole 4mm ASD

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

Small hole 4mm ASD

Dear All / Sirs

My Name is Sibtain Raza Somji from karachi, recently I came to know from Cardio ECO Report that my baby (4 months old) has affected from ASD (size 4mm), doctor advise me that by the time she grows the hole will be filled (I hope so Inshallah), I want to ask that Size 4mm is considered to be small or medium ??? can any one tell me what to do now ?????

your early reply would be highly appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi. The direction and size of the shunting are determined by the size of the defect and compliance of the ventricles. A small defect less than 0.5 cm (5 mm) in diameter is associated with a small shunt and no significant sequelae. On the other hand, a larger defect (more than 2 cm or 20 mm) in diameter may be associated with a large shunt and blood flow changes. ASD may not require treatment if there are few or no symptoms, or if the defect is small. Surgical closure of the defect is recommended if the defect is large, the heart is swollen, or symptoms occur. To know more about ASD, consult your pediatric cardiologist. Hope this answers your question.