VSD & ASD
Can u please tell me the difference between ventricular septal defect (VSD) & Atrial septal defect (ASD).If some one has hole in VSD or ASD which one is more dangerous..?
Hi. The only difference between ASD and VSD is location of the septal wall defect. ASD affects the atrial chambers (upper portion) while VSD affects the ventricular chambers (lower portion) of the heart. Both conditions do not manifest symptoms if the defect is small, or is not associated with other heart lesions. However, larger defects may cause symptoms and heart enlargement, which may require medications or surgery. To know more about congenital heart defects, consult your doctor. Hope this helps.
my now 7 year old son had both a VSD and a ASD  they told us that most of the time they close on their own, sometimes surgery is required and others times they don't close at all... he needed the VSD surgically closed... however he still has the ASD and is leading a normal life with no restriction, not even medications prior to the dentist...
good luck with whom ever has it
Michelle