Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
11-Year-Old Aspie with Strange Phobia
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

11-Year-Old Aspie with Strange Phobia

I have an 11-year-old boy with Asperger's. He has a very unusual and strange fear of a Leap Frog toy that teaches ABCs (here's a link of what it is: www.toystoreinc.com/catalog/phonicsdesk.jpg). He used to love this toy so much as a tot but now he's extremely afraid of it. He is afraid of it most when it shuts off automatically and says "Bye for now!". He doesn't talk about it, but when I bring it up, he tenses up and leaves the room. I hid it away in the storage room, which seemed to lessen the anxiety a great deal (as our children aren't allowed in there). Unfortunetly, his little sister is gonna be 4 in a few weeks and knowing her letters and sounds is important for her second year of Preschool. I don't know about getting out the toy again because it might scare him, plus if I did, I might even really disrupt his summer vacation doing this. And my Preschooler has to know her letters/sounds this fall. Is it normal to have a strange phobia like this? I mean, I think this is weird and kind of insane for an 11-year-old tween to have a fear like this? Should I get out the toy for my Preschooler? Please Help! I NEED it in this dilemma!