Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
3 1/2 year old child understands everything but speaks gibberish

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

24/11/09 I am visiting with my 3 1/2 year old nephew in NC.  The last time I saw him he was but a couple of months old and I noticed that in my opinion he looked different.  He would stare at an operating ceiling fan without blinking for long periods of time and his tongue hung out of his mouth.  It turns out that he was tongue-tied and the doctors did not realize this until he was 2 years old.  Today the child does not speak anything but gibberish.  He seems to understand everything and obeys direction and commands if you ask him to do something such as pick up a toy or put something away in his room.  Yesterday I observed him eating oatmeal and as the bowl became empty he tipped the bowl to get the rest.  He is extremely social and loving - he didn't know me for all intents and purposes but put his arms out to me right away when he saw me for the first time.  

When he "talks" he repeats "baaa" for just about everything.  He does seem to have slight tremors of the hands from time to time and sometimes loses his balance and falls over.  His mouth is always open it seems.  Speech and physical therapists are working with him and he is learning some sign language at this time.  The therapists and doctors do not seem to know what's wrong.  I am worried.  Any information you can offer would be appreciated.