Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
ADHD or PDD-NOS
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ADHD or PDD-NOS

Hello, My son is 9 years old. He is dysgraphic, LD in Written and Expressive Language and Speech delayed. He is currently on an IEP in a contained classroom. Recently  During a FBA meeting at school, His teacher mention that she See's many autistic behaviors in my son. She also said she did not think it was ADHD. The behaviors she mentioned  are

- focusing on objects and tuning everything off
- Social problems
- Digging in sand for objects during recess
- Making noises during class ( however my child does not make noises at home)
- interest in odd objects (my son like to collect rocks, coins .........)
- distractibility, not folowling teacher instruction on classwork
-And arguing the that his wrong answers are right.

What makes  Autism test difficult in my son's situation  is that my son had Severe Hearing Loss that went undetected until the age of 51/2. His hearing was later corrected with surgery. Yes my son did not speak full sentences until he regained his hearing and since has had some sensitivity to noises.

I will like to test my son for Autism and ADHD. I took a online screen-er for Autism and it indicated 89 mild PDD. When  I took this  online screen-er I realized how similar ADHD and PDD are.We do not want to take the chance of a wrong diagnoses. Especially with the prior hearing loss (left ear 55db hearing loss right ear 45db hearing loss) and how this may have effected his language skills. What test should I ask for?......What type DR. should test him.