Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Adderall and Anxiety

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Adderall and Anxiety

Our 8 year old son has recently been diagnosed with Asperger and ADHD.  Currently he is taking 10 mg of Adderall (adderrall) XRT (the dose was lowered from 15 mg).  Ever since he is on this medication he is showing increased signs of anxiety regarding food safety and some OCD traits (increased hand washing).   His anxieties about his food possibly being poisoned are really affecting our home life and cause him true anguish.  Is it possible that the medication is causing this dramatic increase in anxiety?  What other meds could be used to help the ADHD aspect?  We already tried Concerta which made him more aggressive?  
Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts) is a stimulant that is commonly used to treat ADHD.  Nervous habits can be a fairly uncommon side effect of Adderall (adderrall), however, this is commonly something like skin picking or nail biting.  I can’t be certain that the increase in perseveration that you are observing is a function of the medication but, if you are concerned that it is, make sure that you bring this to your doctor’s attention.  There are a number of medications that might be used instead and you and your doctor need to make sure that your son is on the medication and dose that is providing the maximal benefits with minimal side effects.  If you aren’t happy with the effects, address your concerns with your doctor and try a different dose or a different medication.  

I would also recommend that you look into behavioral treatment for your son as well.  Research has shown that behavioral interventions alone and in conjunction with medication can be effective in treatment of hyperactivity.  If you decide to try this, make sure that you find a therapist/behavior analyst who has experience treating ADHD with individuals similar to your son.
can anyone please tell me if concertaxl 36mg which my  son is on causes more aggression ,???? as he has been really aggressive punching kicking biting anyone especially if its not his way ,,,, we are really distraught with his behaviour , he also has autistic spectrum.e[pilespy.tuberous scerosis and odd so they say ,, i tried asking his child phyciatrist but obviously they say no please can anyone answer or help us thankyou

tsaffet
Aderall and Ritalin were a bust.  We switched to Tenex which worked much better - took away the hyperactivity and impulsivity - does nothing for inattentativeness.  It mayhelp OCD because it is used for tic disorders which always have an OCD component.
BTW, my son was totally aggressive on adderall (adderrall) - whcih is why we stopped it.  He has General Anxiety Disorder too.