Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Aspergers at age 19
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Aspergers at age 19

Hi,

I'm 19 and was just diagnosed with Aspergers after years of struggling in school and social situations
I did graduate high school, but with a cumulative GPA below 2.0 (I believe it's 1.6, but I'm not stupid, I have a math disability but I always exceeded on state reading/writing tests, I just think differently then others) so I can't get into most colleges.
My mum is supporting me and she has a low income, I've not been able to keep a job.

now that I have the diagnosis I want to know what resources are out there for someone at my age, who's no-longer in school but really needs to be in college, and have specialized help

Does anybody know what's out there?
340676_tn?1383325484
The answer to your question will depend upon the college.  Fortunately, every college will have an office that handles arranging additional supports for students who need them.  Contact the college admissions office, explain your situation, and they can direct you to the appropriate people tot talk to.  If you're living at home, a local community college might be a great option and they will also have an office in charge of making sure that students like you recieve needed support.
3 Comments
Blank
Oh I should also mention I have a PsyD that I'm now seeing once a week, and that I'm trying a new medication(wellbutrin) to help manage my depression(I tried Celexa but that didn't do anything)
Blank
What about other resources? Not just the school resources I mean.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
340676_tn?1383325484
Jason C Bourret, Ph.D., BCBA-DBlank
The New England Center for Children
Southborough, MA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now