Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Autism Spectrum Disorders and Sleep

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Autism Spectrum Disorders and Sleep
Why do some people on the spectrum have such trouble sleeping?  I have Asperger's syndrome and have had trouble with sleep since I was young.  My mom says she would have to rock me for hours to get me to sleep.  I didn't nap much as a baby.  As I got older, my sleep problems got worse.  I still experience severe insomnia and problems calming down before bed.  Now I'm suspected to have developed narcolepsy.  So my sleep problems just continue to get worse.  I notice that other people on the spectrum sometimes have problems with sleep.  Why is this?
I does experience the same thing as you except for the narcolepsy. And my daughter who also have asperger syndrome as extreme difficulty to sleep. The pediatrician as explain to me that it was du in my daughter's case to a lack of melatonine production in the brain and that it was just part of the syndrome itself!

I hope someone as a better explanation.

Drew
See, that 's what I thought for a while.  That it's just part of the syndrome.  However, mine has gotten so bad lately that it seems like a separate disorder.  Also, I have pretty much had the same sleep habits my whole life.  Now, in just a few months, it has just gone so far downhill.  That's why I'm afraid it's a separate sleep disorder.  I've heard that people on the spectrum can have some sleep trouble, and it's just part of the syndrome.  However, some can also have separate sleep disorders.  Hench my question lol.
That's why I aded on your post. I'm tired of been tired and unable to sleep! If you find and answer to your question please post it.

Anyone else your welcome to help.