Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Autistic 8 Year Old Boy, Needs Potty Training Help

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

I have an 8 almost 9 year old boy, who is not interested in potty training with the poop part, he will pee in the toliet, except at night, he still wets the bed. We have tried EVERYTHING, rewards if he will go, take away toys/favorite snack, spanking, time outs, he does clean hisself and his clothes every single time. He hates cleaning but then goes back and does it again. We think he hates wipeing his own butt, now how do we get passed that? He complains that it hurts and we try to tell him it hurts cause he sits in it and it spreads and then he has to find it all and clean it all and sometimes that can hurt. He has a younger brother and sister, the younger brother is starting to follow the older brother's footsteps and the younger brother is not autistic. How do i keep the younger brother from copying the older brother's bad habits? The sister is still a baby, so i am really hopeing to get the older brother passed all this before she knows what's going on. The older brother will also hold it at school and then go on the bus or as soon as he gets home. He will also go while sitting at the table out in public at a restaraunt and/or grocery store shopping. He goes and i don't ever know it until i smell him, he will not tell me and then sometimes when i ask, he will lie to my face. Me and his father are divorced and when he visits his dad, he does nothing at all to try and train him, he will clean him for him and let him go on and do what he does. I have tried several times to talk to him but it does no good. So my older son gets mixed signals from both parents when that happens and i know that just makes it that much harder. I have 3 kids now and I really would like to get passed this and be able to do other things with my kids instead of spending so much time trying to get him to do the right thing. Any advice at all will be appreciated. Thanks
1 Comment
I am having the same problem.  My son is 7 now and has mild autism.  He is almost normal functioning except for the potty problem. He will go to the potty, but he will hold it all day at school until he can not hold it any longer, sometimes having accidents at school too.  He will hold it at home too.  He does it in his pants and says he can't help it.  I can smell it and ask him to go to the potty and will tell me he don't need too. Most of the time he has already done it or is holding it.  I have tried everything I know to try. He loves to play wii games, we have even taken that away...He also has hydrocephlus and seizures.  He has trouble reaching his bottom to wipe himself.  I have come to the conclusion that he either can not control it or he is holding it because he does not want to ask anyone to wipe for him.  I do wish I could help him learn to do it for himself.  I have tried very hard.  I have alot of support in my effort.  His dad and my family all try to help him and teach him how to do it.. He just does not understand.  I think it may be a autism problem.  Any one else with any answers?  We welcome any ideas.  Thank you.