Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Autistic 8 Year Old Boy, Needs Potty Training Help
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Autistic 8 Year Old Boy, Needs Potty Training Help

I have an 8 almost 9 year old boy, who is not interested in potty training with the poop part, he will pee in the toliet, except at night, he still wets the bed. We have tried EVERYTHING, rewards if he will go, take away toys/favorite snack, spanking, time outs, he does clean hisself and his clothes every single time. He hates cleaning but then goes back and does it again. We think he hates wipeing his own butt, now how do we get passed that? He complains that it hurts and we try to tell him it hurts cause he sits in it and it spreads and then he has to find it all and clean it all and sometimes that can hurt. He has a younger brother and sister, the younger brother is starting to follow the older brother's footsteps and the younger brother is not autistic. How do i keep the younger brother from copying the older brother's bad habits? The sister is still a baby, so i am really hopeing to get the older brother passed all this before she knows what's going on. The older brother will also hold it at school and then go on the bus or as soon as he gets home. He will also go while sitting at the table out in public at a restaraunt and/or grocery store shopping. He goes and i don't ever know it until i smell him, he will not tell me and then sometimes when i ask, he will lie to my face. Me and his father are divorced and when he visits his dad, he does nothing at all to try and train him, he will clean him for him and let him go on and do what he does. I have tried several times to talk to him but it does no good. So my older son gets mixed signals from both parents when that happens and i know that just makes it that much harder. I have 3 kids now and I really would like to get passed this and be able to do other things with my kids instead of spending so much time trying to get him to do the right thing. Any advice at all will be appreciated. Thanks