Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Can asperger's get worse during puberty?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can asperger's get worse during puberty?

Ever since I hit 15, I started not being able to socialize. I also got acne, constipation, dry skin, bad memory, lost of interest in things I used to enjoy, depression, and have trouble falling asleep. My mind is just always blank and I reply with short answers to people. Also my OCD got waaaaay worse when I hit 15. I always had it, but it wasn't too bad. I also didn't have any signs of being an aspie (except always being quiet) but now I have symptoms of it.

I think puberty hormones caused all those drastic changes. Keep in mind that these changes happened in a very short time period. I went from being my normal self, to this in like 2 weeks-1 month. This was when puberty was making fast changes. I'm 18 now, and still have acne and all the stuff I listed. Will this get better once I exit puberty and the hormones balance out?
340676_tn?1383325484
Autism-spectrum disorders are diagnosable much before the onset of puberty and there is not good evidence that their presence or absence is related to puberty (i.e., there are not cases of people who are developing typically and then attain an autism-spectrum disorder during puberty).  That being said, I strongly recommend that you regularly see a behavioral or mental health professional.  It sounds like you're having some difficulties and all of them sound treatable.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
340676_tn?1383325484
Jason C Bourret, Ph.D., BCBA-DBlank
The New England Center for Children
Southborough, MA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now