Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Certain vitamins do help in PDD NOS but not on a structural level

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

I am a 23 year old guy and recently I've been diagnosed with PDD-NOS, which is an autistic spectrum disorder. For me the problems are bad memory, bad integration of attention, planning & organising.

I've tried numerous supplements in the past because I've read a lot about the biochemical part that together with the enevitable genetic part causes autism. There were supplements that helped me significantly. The only problem is that the supplements don't have an everlasting effect.
For instance,  with the vitamin b6/magnesium combination i have received great benefits. But this combination lasted only for three weeks. I am starting to believe that this has got something to do with the adaptation of the neurotransmittors in the brain, called downgrading.

I was thinking of a solution for myself because i don't like to be inattentive and improductive, because I want a nice carreer, and I want to able to do more with my life.

My thought was:
- take the effective vitamin b6/magnesium combination till it doesn't work anymore
- then stop taking it for a week or so
- then start taking it again, and maybe it works again for three weeks or something

This would then be a way to keep my head above the water.

The only problem is that i don't know how long it takes before the receptors of the neurotransmitters are ready to be used again (if you get what i mean). Because when i start two days after i stopped, i don't think that the brain has upgraded its neurotransmitters again.

So it comes down to two questions:
How long does it take for the brain to undo the downgrading process of the neurotransmitters?
When i would try my tactics on a structural level, so three weeks on the pills, one week of, three weeks on, one week off, would the time that i actually benefit from the pills/supplements become shorter, because of the fact that the brain is getting used to it.

Thanks a lot for answering my questions.

greatings,

Paul
The issues that you present with are not typical of PDD, so if the diagnosis is unclear, I would recommend a second opinion. As far as vitamin therapies for autism, although particular individuals swear by them, they haven’t stood up under scientific examination. If you find them helpful, then I would suggest trying different arrangements to see what is working best for you. In general, however, I have never seen improvement in autism symptoms from vitamin therapy and there is insufficient scientific evidence supporting them for me to recommend them.
Did a Specialist give you the diagnosis of PDD NOS? I am not a doctor or specialist, but you sound like you have ADD or maybe PDD NOS with ADD. Have you tried any ADD meds such as stimulants (Ritalin, Metadate or Adderall (adderrall))? If you have not and you are not against them (some people are) you should see a ADD specialist doctor who can evaluate you for ADD and if he agrees you could try one of the ADD meds. It takes trying different ones to see which one works for you but in some cases they can make a big difference if you can find the one that does work for you. Good luck.
According to the specialists (clinical psychologist & ortho pedagogue) that diagnosed me, by confronting me with a battery of test, they said that I do not have ADD, because i have no trouble with sustained attention.

At first, i also thought i had ADD.

But because I want a second opinion I will also visit a psychiatrist specialised in this field. Maybe a medicin like ritalin would benefit me.
I believe that some people with PDD-NOS and even autism will take the ADD medicines to help them with their "execution function".  Good luck and getting a second opinion is a good idea since you really seem to have goals and want do well in life. Issues with execution is part of ADD diagnosis.  Are you a social person who has friends and talks to them like your peers do? if so, you probably do not have PDD.  The ADD person is social and knows how to be social.  He or she just gets bored with the conversation and changes the topic or ignores it totally after a while.  The PDD person will care less about having friends. I am not an expert, I am just a mom. Please see an expert for a second opinion and get help.  Make sure that you see someone that understands ADD. You might look at the CHADD web site and see if they have a chapter where you live.