Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Child shakes head once in awhile

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Child shakes head once in awhile

Recently my child started to do a couple of head shakes every once in awhile while he's playing and even while he's asleep?  It looks almost as if he is trying to clear his head.  I'm worried.  Should I take him to see a doctor?
It's really not possible to tell whether the head shakes are indicative of any underlying issues - you would need to take her to see a doctor to determine the cause.  Before going to the doctor, if would probably be helpful for you to get more information on when the head shaking happens (does it happen only under specific conditions, or across lots of different activities?), how often it happens (take note of the number of times per day), whether you can interrupt it (if you call his name while he's shaking his head, does he respond?), etc.
Good luck.
My 9yr/o daughter just started this too.  She has Autism with no epilepsy, because at first I thought she may be having a seizure.  It seems to have started with a bad headache one day.  Headache lasted a day but shaking head lasted a couple of weeks.  It went away for several weeks.  The headache and shaking of head again, but just for a day.  It seems to come and go when she has a headache.  I took her to the dr to see if maybe she had fluid in her ears, a head cold, sinuses.... Neurologist said not to worry but keep an eye on it.  
I would love to hear others feedback as well.
Good luck
It could be a symptom of tics. You should look it up.
I think u should take him to the doctor
I think u should take him to the doctor