Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Clapping Waving Pointing

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Clapping Waving Pointing

My son is 9 months (in the 4th) week.  He is not yet pointing waving or clapping.  He seems fine in all other areas of development.  He rolled over at 4 months crawled at 6 months.  He pulls up to a stand and is starting to cruise.  He makes good eye contact and laughs and smiles all the time.  He babbles and says mama dada and says hi.  He moves objects from hand to hand and bangs things together.  If I point to something and say look he looks at it with me.  If I say where is daddy or grandma he looks at the proper person.  He also loves to cuddles and gives kisses.  He imitates sounds as if we are having a conversation.  I have been waving to him for six months and he just looks at me.  I practiced clapping and he has brought his hands together but no real clapping.  He holds out his pointer finger but doesn't really point to anything.  I have noticed he is using his pointer finger more (pushing buttons on a toy) but not pointing with a purpose.  I am getting very concerned.  Many of the milestone charts say he should be doing these things by now.  He does reach for things with his whole hand and will try to get things out of reach.  He also gets out attention by yelling or banging his palm or fist on something.  Am I over-reacting or is this cause for concern.  By the way this is my second child and my first hit her milestones on time. Thanks for your assistance."
1 Comment
Hello Ellen,
Based on your description your son's social-emotional development seems to be proceeding very well. He shows multiple signs of social engagement and relatedness to other people. It is important that he shows joint attention by looking at something that you are pointing at. This indicates that he is able and willing to share in your interest. It seems that he has not yet achieved the skill of imitating new fine-motor movements. Please keep in mind that developmental timelines vary widely from child to child. In addition, boys often develop their fine-motor skills a bit later than girls. I think there is no reason for concern right now. If these abilities do not emerge by 15-18 months, or if you notice any other delays in motor skills, its worth consulting with your pediatrician and an occupational therapist.
Good luck!

Dr. Tali Shenfield, PhD, CPsych
www.psy-ed.com