Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Developmental Disorder

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Developmental Disorder

My 4 yr old son is receiving speech therapy at his pre-school.  He has good eye-contact, follow 2 sentenct instructions (like go down in the basement and shut the light off and close the door), likes to ready story books, plays with his elder brother has good memory, knows rhymes, count numbers, letters, knows colors and shapes.  There are few things about him which are making me worried.  He has few repetative behavior like watching the commercial again and again; like flushing the toilet again and again but which he recently stopped, shutting of the microwave door (he stop doing that now), much interest in numbers, any car parked in the parking lot he would like to go and check the inspection sticker to see what number it is and also if he gets frustrated on anything he covers his ears.  Is this behavior normal.  Please email me.  Thank you.
1 Comment
I am a parent of a child on the autistic spectrum.
The things you mention I would recognise as being either obsessions or ridig ritualistic behaviour associated with an autistic spectrum disorder.
As he is already having speech therapy it might be worth you asking for a full multi disciplinary team evaluation through health rather than education.
If he is on the spectrum he sounds like he is high functioning, but it might explain some of his odd behaviour and knowing if that was the cause of it would help you decide on the kind of schooling and the level of support he might need.
If you go onto the autism forum and click on the Health Page icon on the top right hand corner of the page you can read a post called Behavioural Characteristics behind the Diagnosis of an ASD.  This lists the clinical criteria for a diagnosis.  Parents have also posted examples of their child's behaviour so that you know the kind of things the professionals are looking for.
Covering his ears is a sensory thing.  Those on the spectrum tend to receive sensory stimulus differently to us.  Sometimes they are over sensitive to it, sometimes under sensitive and can appear not to hear, or feel, or taste, or smell anything.  At other times the slightest touch will appear to hurt them, they will cover their ears, avoid eating certain foods, complain about smells, say that their clothes are bothering them etc.