Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Eight year old son's behavior
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Eight year old son's behavior

My eight year old son was diagnosed as moderately ADHD last spring, following developmental evaluations by a psychologist.  We opted not to use medication at the time and have been researching neurofeedback as a natural form of treatment.  

During the school year, things went well overall.  He makes good grades and as long as we pay attention to his sleep requirements, we were reassured about his behavior.

Since school has been out, however, some behaviors have returned and/or worsened:
(1) He makes this almost constant noise in his throat. (this had disappeared)
(2) He says "I love you" throughout the day, and will repeat it until he is answered "I love you too." (this had lessened)
(3) He scratches his rear and then sniffs his fingers. (this is new)
(4) His impulsivity has worsened, along with anger issues returning, so we began a very low dose of the nonstimulant, Intuniv. We have seen some improvement in the hyperactivity, impulsivity, and anger, as well as a lessening of the behaviors listed above.  The behavior is more tolerable, but the issues are still there.

Our overall concern is what is causing these behaviors in the first place?  It seems like more than ADHD, but how can we know?  Are there tests for OCD, Autism Spectrum, Sensory/Processing disorders?

Some behaviors from younger times: screaming, sensitivity to noise and light, needing background noise for concentration, no interest in creative play or picture books until age 3, clothing and dressing issues, tiptoe walker and arm flapping when much younger.

Your feedback is much appreciated.