Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
GcMAF and Teenagers with Autism

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

GcMAF and Teenagers with Autism

I have a 15 year old son with autism.  Will treating him with GcMAF improve his symptoms?  I have read a lot about this therapy as well as adult stem cell treatments, but the oldest child I heard described was 9.  Is it too late to help my son?
To the best of my knowledge, there is currently no scientific evidence (i.e., controlled studies using generally accepted scientfic methodology) demonstrating that this treatment has any beneficial effects with individuals with autism.  If you look on the internet, I'm sure that you can find testimonials and anecdeotal reports that this treatment worked for this individual or that individual, but this does not constitute scientific evidence. Many of the "fad" therapies in autism that were subsequently found to be ineffective began with these sorts of anecdotal reports.  I still believe in the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".  

Two days ago, there was a story on "60 Minutes" about individuals who were engaging in fradulent behavior related to stem cell treatment, and the risk this posed to potential patients.  I would encourage those interested in this potential treatment to look into this expose (you can find it on the internet).

Best of luck!