Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Help finding Autism Evaluator

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Help finding Autism Evaluator

My son has been diagnosed as having Asperger’s and ADHD, which his school after a number of evaluations and ARD meeting’s has not recognized. I am now in the process of trying to find a psychologist to independently evaluate him in order to receive the special education setting he dearly needs and I am wary of choosing from the very small list I was provided from the school district. My son is on the high functioning side of the spectrum and as a result most people think he is just a willful or disobedient child. I only have less than two weeks to meet the school’s requirements and would greatly appreciate any help in how to find the right person to take him too. Thanks.

Often a good first step is talking to your pediatrician and obtaining a referrel to someone that he or she recommends.  This will be someone with experience diagnosing autism-spectrum disorders who can explain the diagnostic criteria and provide you with the appropriate documentation.
I had the same problem with the school district for my little brother. He was seen by a Genetics specialist and a neurologist. Try visiting either or and have them write a letter stating your child needs the classes.