Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
My 12 year old son

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

My 12 year old son
What is the difference between Autism and PDD?  My son was diagnosed couple years ago with PDD and now he's being sent for Autism Evaluation. Isn't PDD the same thing? or is it a different degree of it.
Thank You kindly,
fox24
PDD-NOS is a diagnosis given to individuals that do not meet the criteria for an autism diagnosis because of late development of symptoms or symptoms that do not meet the required threashold. Usually this is given if there is impairment in communication and social interaction and/or the presence of stereotyped patterns of behavior. This is often a matter of judgment on the part of the diagnostician. It may be that a new diagnostician would change the previous diagnosis or it may be that your son may now meet the criteria for a diagnosis of autism. PDD-NOS is categorized in the DSM as one of the autism disorders and, occasionally, a child will be diagnosed with PDD-NOS when there appears to be impairment but a full diagnosis of autism doesn’t seem warranted.