Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
My son is "not quite right"
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My son is "not quite right"

My son is 8 years old and ever since I can remember his personality I can only describe as not quite right and something that I cannot put my finger on.  He has had different fixations on things from watching the same dvd over and over, to now playing his computer games obsessively.  He does not like change in his routine and becomes very stressed if things do change, he used to put himself on the medical couch at school if he got anxious about something new coming up that day.  For example, a circus was coming to the school and he got so anxious about the change of routine that he felt sick through worry.  At bedtime, we have to go through the same routine of saying the same thing, in order, and exactly right, otherwise he will insist that we start over again.  He has to have his duvet cover the exact way he likes it, any change and he notices straight away and insists it is changed back.  He is anxious when he is in bed and demands to know when I will be going to bed and constantly comes back downstairs to ask how many more minutes until I go to bed.  He is very sensitive and really has no sense of humour unless it is something that he himself has done which makes him laugh.  He always seems never to be happy, he constantly moans about the unfairness of any given situation.  Even on days out to the beach and a family holiday to Disney he constantly complained about something.  He is very bright at school and his teacher tells me he is a popular member of the class and has friends to play with.  He writes constantly about his sister in his writing journal at school.  When he was small he hated the hoover being switched on as it was too loud and now he does not like any loud music, he just cannot cope.  We went to a party with a band playing last year and he literally hid under the table the whole time and demanded to go.  Is this just his personality or is this possible aspergers??  How can I manage this behaviour effectively?