Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
My three year old

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

My three year old

I have a three year old daughter and i am a bit concerned about some of the things she does as well as her development. When she falls down she doesnt put her hands infront of her to catch her, that was the first thing i noticed, then i realized that she cant hop, an she walks a little funny. She also cant say a couple words or put certain words together, she stares at lights, and covers her ears when ever there is a loud noise, or she covers them when she knows a noise is coming. if she hears a loud noise she freaks out. she is also very sensitive, gives dirty looks like you coulnt believe and is very smart in that sort of way she is very rude an bossy. I know lots of kids are and people say its the way they are raised but i raised both of my kids the same and the 2 are completely different.
It is important to remember that while the way kids are raised is an important factor in why they behave the way they do, it is certainly nor the only factor!  have you descussed these concerns with your child's pediatrician?  This is always the best place to start in determining if there are specific issues that impact on your daughter's development.  It's a good idea to prepare ahead of time, and develop a list of all of your concerns, and examples of her behavior.  When many people discuss similar issues with their pediatrician, they remember a few items that are worrysome, but once they get back home, they remember a lot of other things they wished they had brought up!  So, prepare your list--if a professional heard about one or two areas of concern, they mayget a good overall picture of the child; but, if you list out all areas of concern, it may paint a very different picture of your child!  be sure to ask if there are any early intervention services that your child may qualify for, that may address some of these issues.  For example, a physical therapist may be able to look at some of the issues related to not being able to hop, walking funny, etc., while a speech/language pathologist may have ideas that might facilitate language development.  A Board Certified Behavior Analyst may be able to look at some of the behavioral issues that your child displays and come up with ideas that may be helpful.  But, the first step is reviewing all of these issues with your child's pediatrician!

Best of luck!