Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Obsessed

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Obsessed

last year my 15 year old daughter went to prom with a Senior boy, due to my urging. He did ask her, but she wanted to g  with someone else. Ever since the day she said she would go, he has harassed her in person, on phone, via Twitter and texting, and Facebook. This has been going on for 9 months. we have talked to his parents, teachers, the police- short of filing a restraint, and him, with no change in behavior. He harassed any boy that talks to her, even threatening harm to them. He has posted rumors about my daughter being pregnant, called her every name you can think of, and threatened physical harm against himself. he constantly contacts friends of my daughter, wanting to know where she is and where the boy is that she was interested in before Prom. His Mother is now saying she believes he has Asbergers Syndrome, and is taking him to therapy starting this week. I am scared for my child! His step father believes he could become very violent, and go into the school and harm my daughter's male friend, and others. what should we do? As a mother, I want to file charges. But as a healthcare professional, I know that does not help the situation or behaviors. Please help. We are AT our wits end.
Tags: obsessed
One of the defining characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorders (including Asperger's Syndrome) is highly stereotyped behaviors or interests.  Usually this manifests as an interest in particular items, activities, or phenomena. It may be possible that an overzealous interest in your daughter is a manifestation of this characteristic, but it seems somewhat unusual.  Only a professional doing a direct evaluation of the young man could provide a diagnosis.

However, regardless of whether the young man is diagnosed with a developmental or psychiatric disorder, I would urge you to continue to report your concerns to the proper authorities (both the school and the police, as you feel appropriate). The police and the school professionals (hopefully there is a school counselor, psychologist, or behavior analyst involved in helping to address his behavior) should have some suggestions on how to avoid worsening the situation.  Explicitly ask for, and follow, their advice on how to interact with (or not) the young man.