Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Stereotypic behavior/stimming in SPD
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Stereotypic behavior/stimming in SPD

Hello Dr.

I have a 34 month old little girl that shows a lot of signs of a problem with her sensory processing skills (sensory modulation) ever since she was a new born; she hit all her milestones on time and even ahead ot time.  Five months ago I noticed a strange behavior in her, she would place her hand with her fingers opened right in front of her eyes and she would look through very quickly and would resume the activity she was doing; she started playing a lot with her fingers, she would wriggle her wrists all the time and sometimes she would make these vocal sounds (nnnnhh-nana-nhhh) while engaging on these behaviors.   From what I have read these are considered stereotypic or stimming behaviors which are a red flag for autism.  I contacted the Early Intervention team in our State and they told me she did not exhibit signs of classic autism because she makes good eye contact, she displays joint attention, she has social skills and her gross and fine motor skills are not delayed; they said that SPD was a possibility.  However she will start speech therapy tomorrow because they found that she's at least 10 months delayed in speech; growing up in a bilingual household has also been a bit confusing for her.
The case manager from early intervention told us that she would go ahead and have an occupational therapist evaluate her as well since we expressed our concerns about the stimming in our daughter.

Is this kind of stimming a crucial indicator of ASD  Is stimming enough to get my daughter diagnosed with autism or PDD-NOS?  Do kids with stand alone sensory processing issues show some sort of stereotypic movements?

Thank you in advance!

Lucia