Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Treat TICS--natural alternatives for Risperdal?

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

I have a family member that has a pervasive Tic.
He is having uncontrollable throat clearing due to
Aspergers and taking Vyvanse. He was on Risperdal
but we had to D/C due to signs of Tardive Dyskenesia.
We prefer natural alternatives such as Neuroscience Neurotransmitter
supplements or amino acids. I researched that Risperdal is a Dopamine blocker.
Doesn't that limit a persons sense of well being when taken?At any rate
Risperdal and Anti Psychotics are no longer an option.
What do you recommend?
Although tic disorders may occur in individuals with autism-spectrum disorders, they are not part of the defining features of the diagnoses. Also, Risperdal may produce flattened affect as a side effect. In any case, I recommend that the treatment of the tic be overseen by a neurologist with expertise treating tics of the sort your family member is exhibiting. Treatment of involuntary movements of this sort can be tricky and I won’t get into particular suggestions here. The key is to find a doctor who can closely supervise the case and make adjustments in medication as needed.