Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Waving
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Waving

Hi. My youngest child will be 13 months in 2 weeks. My 3 year old has autism so I am watching my little guy very carefully. His gross motor skills are great (walked at 10 months and can throw and roll a ball to me). He points to ask for things, he brings me boxes to open, he holds up toys he is proud of for me to admire,  he holds his arms up to be picked up, he claps when I clap, he laughs when I laugh, he follows one step instructions (bring mommy the ball) and can say mama, dada and dagee (doggy), but for the life of me I cannot get him to wave!! Is this a sign? I'm really worried about it.
340676_tn?1383325484
So far, based on your description, I don't see a reason to worry.  The challenges associated with autism are more global than some specific issue (i.e., waving).  It sounds like your child is social and responds to you and the cues you provide, all good signs.  Obviously, follow up with a formal assessment if more concerns arise.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
340676_tn?1383325484
Jason C Bourret, Ph.D., BCBA-DBlank
The New England Center for Children
Southborough, MA
1539512_tn?1294812722
Richard B. Graff, PhD, BCBA-DBlank
New England Center for Children
Southborough, MA
MedHelp Health Answers