Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
What causes Autism

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

What causes Autism

Hello I'm currently pregnant with my first child and I have major concerns about Autism. My husband has a younger sister who is Autistic and his aunt (moms side) had an Autistic daughter as well.  I have read a lot of material that suggests autism isn't hereditary and that vaccine's are not the cause but I'm still nervous.  As a parent do I have the right to wait to vaccinate my child until the brain has fully developed? Like 2 or 3 years old?  I plan to watch my child and not leave them in daycare where they could be exposed to  other children without vaccines.

Thank you in advance for your answers
You don't have to worry about vaccines (at all).  That notion has been debunked in several, multi-national studies.  It also turns out that the person who came up with the idea falsified his data and has since been universally discredited.  As a parent, you have the right to delay or refuse vaccination but the autism link is false and you end up putting your child at risk for serious diseases.  In the overwhelming majority of cases people with the family linkages to autism that you describe have typically developing children.  My advice is to relax and enjoy this period of your life.  If you end up noticing issues later, deal with them at that point, but you have no cause to be concerned right now.
My 4 year old son has autism, & autism is a genetic condition. You most certainly have the right as a your childs mother to wait for until you feel comfortable with your childs development before allowing the vaccines to take place,
Health visitors dont like it & will try to talk you round but cannot force you to do anything your not happy with.