Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Worried about son starting kindergarden

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Worried about son starting kindergarden

There are so many reasons why I worry, but here are the main ones.
1. His reaction to negatives (me saying No) is always anger. If his sister takes his toy, he automatically hits her. We do time outs and roll playing, but his gets angry so quickly and reacts without thinking. Sometimes the anger makes him cry, but he gets embarresed to cry in front of other, so he usually holds it in. I used to have him take deep breaths, but now that makes him more angry.
2. He has a hard time starting new things. (and stopping things) We joined a gym and I talked up the "play area" for a few days and he was very excited. When we walked in he stood by the door, almost in tears and refused to go in. I stayed for about 20 minutes showing him all the things he could do. He slowly moved in. The teacher got their Wii game out so he came in. After I worked out and picked them up, he looked at me, gave me an angry face (holding back tears again) and said he didn't want to leave. When I walked over to him he threw his toy at me. I made him sit in time out where he kept hitting the wall. This same type of thing happens anytime he starts something new. He has been taking karate for 2 months. On the mornings of his class, he cries, gets angry and says he doesn't want to go. He says its too hard. (Which is not true because he is very athletic and catches on fast.) It usually takes a lot of talking and help from the coaches to get him in. Once he is in, he loves it and doesn't want to leave.
3. He talks non stop and very loudly. I have to remind him to "use his inside voice" all day, no matter where we are.
4. If he is showing anyone a toy or something he puts it inches from their face. This scares kids sometimes becasue they think he's going to hit them.
The biggest issue we have at home is the anger, but I'm scared about kindergarden. I hate to see him so stressed out and upset. I want school to be fun and for him to be a happy kid, not so angry and worried.
I’m assuming that your son has an autism-spectrum diagnosis but the concerns that you have are the same sorts of concerns that parents of typically developing children have and these general types of behavior issues are also very common in typically developing children. This transition is a new thing for you but it’s something that kindergarten teachers deal with all the time. My advice is to discuss your son’s issues with the school that he’s entering. Meet with the administration and meet with his teachers. Explain the situation and develop a plan with them to help him with the transition. I expect they’ll be very sensitive to your son’s particular needs.