Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Zoloft to treat mood swings in 6 year old with HF Autism

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

It seems like my son has tried almost every kind of medicine on the market to treat his very unmanageable behavior problems. He is at risk of being removed from public school mainstream programming since the school cannot keep him from threatening, frightening and attacking classmates. The calls from concerned parents keep flooding the Principals office. He has a 1:1 support staff who is even challenged to keep himself safe from him. He recently had to go to the hospital for a severe bite in the hand.

He is currently taking Focalin 5 Mg twice per day for the Hyperactivity and the doctor wants to try Zoloft starting at 12.5 MG this weekend. He has been unsuccessful due to tics, td, and sleep disturbance on med trials of all of the following other meds: Celexa, Prozac, Abilify, Risperdal, Strattera, Vyvanse, Methylin and Adderall (adderrall).

Any thoughts on what direction we should be going with him? We feel like we are running out of options.
It is difficult to answer a question like this without having access to additional information, but the first thing I would want to know is, who is developing his behavior plan at school?  You mentioned that he was receiving 1:1 services, but most 1:1 support staff are simply trying to implement behavior plans written by others.  In many schools, behavior plans are written by a special educator, sometimes with input from a consultant.  I think it is really important to have the plan written by someone with significant experience in using applied behavior analysis with children with autism (you can search for board certified behavior analysts in your region at www.bacb.com).  It is really crucial that the behavior intervention plan matches the reason your son is acting out.  For example, some children act out when they are given difficult wotrk to do.  This is certainly understandable--it's frustrating to be asked to do work that is hard for you!  Some children may tantrum when they are given hard work, and some classroom teachers may send the child to a quiet room to calm down, or to the principle's office.  Unfortunately, this means that the child has successfully avoided the hard work by acting out!  Although the classoom teacher did what may have seemed like the right thing to do in the short run, it actually may make the problem behavior worse in the wrong run--and the child may learn that, whenever they are giving anything that they don't wantt o do, they can get out of doing it by tantrumming!  So, it is important that the behavior program is written such that it takes into account WHY the problem behavior is occurring--and this is exactly what behavior analysts are trained to do.  few special educators receive this type of training (and I am not biased against special education teachers--I am married to one!).  

I hope this was helpful.  Best of luck in the future.
My son is just now being diagnosed at 15 as high functioning asperger's.  Get the right psychologist's and psychiatrist's NOW!  I would like to say that my son is in a treatment facility for bipolar/aspergers is San Marcos Texas and it is great!  So if way down the road you need the help, it is out there, you are not alone.  ;)  
I have aspergers and zoloft helps me deal with my environment. I can handle noises, changes, and people in general much better now, I do not get angry or phobic so soon any more. So i guess my environment thinks this has improved my behaviour ; )
Just watch it: zoloft has to be started and stopped very carefully,with the help of a physician !