Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
abnormal acts....autism??

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

abnormal acts....autism??

My step son is 11 years old and deffinitely has problems. His mother would not get him checked because she said her kid was not "retarded". His father and I want to help him. He does not know how to socialize, and our other 3 children play much better when he is not trying to interact with them. He bullies our youngest two children. I help with his homework every night and after explaining multiple times he does not comprehend the work. When anything is explained to him he does not understand. He is in IEP classes and is still failing, his work on his last assessment was all below the 7th percentile out f 99. He wakes up around 4 every night scared, and will not go back to sleep. We have many problems and are trying everything, he has been thought by doctors to have adhd but his problems are much too severe. do you believe that he could possibly have autism or aspergers syndrome?
It would be impossible to diagnose him without seeing him but, it sounds like having him assessed would be a good idea. A place to start is asking your pediatrician for a referral, you’re looking for a professional with experience diagnosing individuals who have autism. It sounds like he has an IEP already? The diagnosis can be helpful in making sure that he is receiving the services that he needs and that includes both with regard to academic work and also learning appropriate socialization. If you feel that he needs help in a certain area, make sure that it’s addressed on the IEP. I often find that the best way to think about it is in terms of making sure that your stepson is getting help for the things he struggles with regardless of diagnosis. There are services out there and professionals available that can help him with just the sorts of problems that you’re describing.
1 Comment
My son is now 16 and at 15 was diagnosed High functioning asperger's.  He also has dyslexia, adhd, bipolar.  I would search the high functioning asperger's because they considered my son like a sleeper.  He will look at you some times and then not look at you.  It took a specialist to figure out my son.  Asperger's kids have high anxiety issues and the older he got the more issues we had.  My boy is in a treatment center in San Marcos Texas and has been there since school started this last year.  It has saved his life.