Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
autism signs in 2 year old

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

autism signs in 2 year old

Hello there just wondering if someone could please tell me what are the signs of autism in 2 year olds my girl who was 2 in jan this year is not talking all that much (only says sinlge words) and a lady at our play group today commented that she had some concerns for her as she doesn't play all that much with the other kids perhaps they are signs of Autism she said to me to look into it can anyone help me please
Tags: Autism
Diagnostic criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorders (including Autism, Asperger’s, and others) include delays in social interaction skills, communication skills, and the presence of stereotyped or restricted behavior and interests.  There is some variability in what is considered “typical” development, and your pediatrician can help you determine whether her development is normal or somewhat delayed. I’d recommend that you describe your concerns to your pediatrician and ask him/her whether further evaluation is warranted.
I was thinking the same thing about my daughter who will be 2 in 3 weeks, she still does not talk not even mama or dada, but she dose talk to us a lot in her own baby language, and she understands what I say to her like go get your shoes for mummy...she dosnt like to be touched, like dried after a bath especially her hair, she will not let me brush it at all, she will tolerate being hugged for a few seconds if she has a fall or hurts herself and she is very particular about having the same things in her bed every night, pillow blanket toys, if I change anything she will have a screaming fit untill I change it back, but the most concerning thing for me is when she is around other children she is very mean, she will hit and pull hair and scratch and take toys off the other kids and she also plays on her own next to me and will not mingle but I tend to think a lot of 2 year olds do this and they get more social as they get older.  I dont know if I sholuld be worried about autism ...dose it sould like she has some of the sympoms?