Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
is this normal for a 2 year old

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

is this normal for a 2 year old

i have a 32month old  is very smart and he was sick alot when he was younger but since he has been 2 he has been doing better , but now he is making up sickness and wants meds all the time. i have to tell him NO everyday over meds.that he can not have them they are only for when your sick and then he starts all the fake coughing and wanting his temp check saying hes hot and now he is telling my mother in law / babysitter and me that i give him sleeping med or tells me that she does when nether one of us does she wont even give him antibiotics i had to take off school for 3 days and my husband work for 2 to give him his meds that week. he also has anexity problems scared to death of bugs and dirt to the point of nightmares.. i love him dearly but like today he came to me and said mommy i swallowed a penny and need dr . its to the point i dont know what to do he wants to be sick and ill and he is always talking about death and wrecks every time we get in the car he says mom lets wreck like its a game i have to tell no thats not good it will hurt us and he still wants to and everytime he see's a animal he always says its dead of going to die ... no one in our family had died recently or been in a wreck .. is this normal when i talked to his dr about the night terrors she gave tole me to set a bed time and no tv3 hours before bed which has helped but she was talking about a psychologist if it didnt get better and it has some ..is any of this normal has anyone have these troubles with their 2 year old... ps when i say smart i mean smart i know he is my son but he can count to 20 reads numbers 1-10 knows about 5 colors and shapes can even look at a clock and tell you if its time for his show or for my husband to be home can tell you turn by turn how to get to his mawmaws or home when he was 18 months orgnaized eveything by color and rows he also has this wield thing he does with smell he smells everything and wont eat things that smell differant then normal like chicken nuggets he can tell by smell if they are the ones he likes or not and wont even eat the other we have tested this many times... HELP is anyone else going through this
Based on your description, I'm not sure if an autism diagnosis would be appropriate, but it would be worth having him assessed.  The behavior issues you describe are all solvable, and can also occur in typically developing children.  Seek out a behavior analyst in your area (the BACB website has a useful directory).  The fact that your son is so bright is a very favorable sign for the liklihood of your coming up with an intervention that works for him.  Generally speaking, relatively simple contingencies using rules and reward can be very effective in cases like this.  For example, have him pick a favorite treat or activity that he can earn every hour for not talking about inappropriate things (e.g., death or medical issues).  The essence is to tell him exactly the behavior you expect and arrange consistent rewards for him.