Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
my son

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

my son

Hi I was woundering if you could help me...
  Has my son got (Autism & Asperger's) he is 9yrs old, I am asking as this has been suggested a couple of time, I'm waiting on a doctors appointment but would like to find a few thing out before hand...
My son can be very emotional, he will cry over anything, he can be controlling, aggressive he can be a bully, finds it hard to make friends, he tells storys wich are not very nice (not the sort of storys a little boy should tell), he can be quite and shy at time, he finds his school work hard an is really behind, he has been wiping phoo over the bathroom walls and wee on his clothes... He will also steal money from school, tell lies but he will do it all the time, I've tryed to talk to my son about this and he will stair at me with no expression as if doesn't understand what I'm saying to him, my son has been different since he was I baby..
  I love my son to bits and would really like to help and understand him, I have done sticker charts the lot to help with his behavior but nothing seems to work?
  Please could you give me some advice on this..
You're obviously in a very difficult situation here.  I'm not sure that your son would be appropriately placed on the autism spectrum, but the type of behavior problems you describe can be effectively treated regardless.  My suggestion is to seek out a BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst, you can search in your area from the Behavior Analysis Certification Board website) who has experience working with children like yours.  A qualified therapist or clinician will get to know your son, find out his likes and dislikes, and work with you on arranging rules and contingencies for him that will support the behavior he should be engaging in and decrease the problematic behavior.  Much of this is about consistency and having valuable rewards to use with him, but it sounds like he needs these sorts of services and I'm sure he would benefit from them.
Hiya,

I understand how difficult it can be for parents that have troubled children, To me I would say it could be a range of possible things like ADHD (Attention Defisit Disorder) but personally from what you have described could be a form of autism (ASD - Aspergers Syndrome/Autisic Spectrum Disorder) but the doctor will know alot more than me about this.

But I hope you manage to control his behaivior but just remember although the child wont know any differant it may affect his life in the future as I have ASD and your emotions are horrible to cope with.

All I can say is good luck with the doctors.