Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
worried need insight
About This Forum:

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

worried need insight

I have a 16 month old little boy who  was born almost a month early. He is not walking yet but cruising with no issues. He seems to have a good understanding of receptive  language. He makes good eye contact and looks at me when I call him most of the time. He shakes his head for no when he doesn't want something. He likes objects that spin and ceiling fans, opening and closing drawers but he is not obsessed by this. He will do this for a few minutes but then moves on.He doesn't have any tantrums and is easy going. This is what concerns me: He does not point but will reach out to an object with his whole hand. He is raised in a blingual household and is hardly around other kids. He  will acknoweldge other babies and tries to touch them on  their heads but thats all.  Since he turned a year he has anxiety when we go to new places. He will cling on to me for dear life. This is just when we are at someone elses house. He waves on occasion, he claps a lot but also waves his arms when he is super excited He repeats words I say clearly but as for using language spontaneously I am not sure. He babbles a lot like when he sees the cat he says something that resembles hi or cat but not sure. He does babble though and always did... Up until very recently,if his toy got stuck he would cry by himself until I went and got it but just lately he does look at me for help (very recent). If we are outside he does look at the direction I am looking at to see what I am seeing. If he is hungry he will put his head on my lap and suck his thumb. He still doesn't  bring me a toy to show me If I leave the room he cries. I feel like he has great receptive language but not expressive yet and this concerns me. He plays and responds to others smiles a lot especially with older kids as opposed to babies. He imitates and loves when I play peekaboo with him.If someone on tv is clapping he will clap too. Could he be speech delayed and the lack of pointing at this age what could this indicate.