Autism Community
4 yr old dilemma

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

4 yr old dilemma

Hi my 4 yr and 2 month old daughter has been in preschool for 1 yr now. Academically sound, hearing perfect, I have some concerns in that- 1)she doesn't take part in group conversations.
2) when asked to do a 3 step task, she completely understands and begins it, halfway thro she gets distracted and forgets to finish the task. Like when asked to clean up the toys, wash hands and come give me a hug- she begins putting away the toys and then starts playing with them. I have to repeatedly remind her to do the rest. If she is interested she will do it. Or else refuse, coz she wants o play now.
3) after reading a story to her, when asked questions about it she answers some simple ones, not all. And she doesn't repeat the story back to me. She wants the same story read multiple times and then perhaps in a good mood she will repeat the story.
4) she doesn't understand concept of why? And Moral of the story.
5) when she comes up with new words, I can't understand her, after a couple of attempts, I understand her. Other moms understand her! So does her teacher.
My worry is is there a FOCUS deficit, or a language processing problem, expressive problem?
Does she need a speech evaluation?
Hope somebody can give me some sensible answers.
At 4 yrs  2 months a the age appropriate skills suggest that the child should understand the concept of why n how as well as answer questions about stories. It is best to get the child assessed.in case there are some lags you can put her for speech therapy post assessment.