Autism Community
5years old BM and baths!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

5years old BM and baths!!

I am so frustrated, my son refuses to take a bath and it started a few days after he started wearing underwear full time. He's almost completely potty trained he's having issues pooping in the potty though. A couple Thursdays ago last minute notice he had no school, had to scurry up a sitter quickly.  It was a new person, his dads friend. She told me she gave him a bath, so I didn't give him one that night. Friday night he pooped in his underwear and Itook him to sit on the potty, it was very messy so I tried getting him in the bath. He fought. ..hard.. we ended up getting poop everywhere! He has refused to bathe since...its a heartbreaking cry and he was traumatized after the bath Friday night. He won't shower, the noise from the water draining makes his sensory issues haywire. He has not taken a decent bath in a week and a half! He has No speech, no emotion really, he just knows he doesn't want in the bath! Idk what to do he used to spend like an hour an a half in the bathtub. ...I've even tried getting in w
Him....nothing works! Any ideas?
Hi!
If this issue of getting scared in the bath came after this new baby sitter’s visit then it would be worthwhile to try and find out what happened that day. A therapist can also help. You can also call over this sitter and see your child’s reaction to her.
Also, some children do not like to take a bath. However, if the reaction becomes hysterical or the child shows undue fear then you need to work with a therapist to find the cause. Maybe you can try some fun things like a small inflatable swimming pool where he can play and have a bath in the process. Place this pool in an area other than the bathroom. Please also discuss other things with a therapist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Does he like bubble baths? My daughter also has a lot of sensory issues and likes to have a wet towel on top of her in the bubble bath. Does he like candy? Are you practicing "first...then" scenarios? For example "first bath, then candy." This is something to speak to his pediatrician about and get a referral to an occupational therapist and speech therapist. They can help work with him to get past some of the sensory problems.
Also, I promise you he does feel emotion. I know it doesn't seem like he does, but people with autism do have strong emotions and feelings as they are people too. Has he been diagnosed with autism?