Autism Community
9 year old makes noises after playing a sport

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

I will preface this by saying the only thing he has been diagnosed with is Expressive Speech Disorder (very mild and he is doing well in this area).

The main problem is that after playing a sport he makes silly noises or he repeats jokes if he doesn't get a response and is overall very annoying (some kids find it funny but most do not).  

He really can't seem to stop himself even if we've made a point of asking him to stop and can see us getting mad.  After awhile his behaviour returns to normal.  Recently my husband has also been coaching and anytime he tries to talk to him during a game he pulls away in defiance and again makes noises.  I do not believe this is attention seeking because he generally doesn't like attention drawn to himself.

He's usually so calm and quiet in an everyday setting (well behaved in class although not always fully attentive).  We had a meeting in school and other being sometimes seeming distracted during class socially he's doing fine.  Although he doesn't maintain really close friendships he hangs out with most everyone.  They did say that he is overly sensitive (which we concur).  A few years ago we were also told by another teacher helping him with is expressive speech problem that he didn't seem to be able to read emotions on others well.  Also that he was very serious in class with an expressionless face. Once they found that he played team sports and successfully interacted they weren't too worried about it. But now with the noises I don't know what to think.

I've often wondered about it being a mild form of autism.  It is starting to get worse (the noises) so I am a bit worried and wanted to get others opinions.  Would be nice to know where I should start to look for help since I don't know what direction to take.

On a side note when he is worried he does get facial tics for a week or two but then it eventually goes away.
Hi!
I can understand your concerns. The first step should probably be to test his IQ. Expressive speech/language disorder can occur in a child with normal intelligence. However, it is often present with varying degree of mental retardation and or autism spectrum disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Hence, a complete evaluation of this is necessary. While noise making could be an attention seeking activity, it may also be a part of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Please discuss with your son’s doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.