Autism Community
Aspergers?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Aspergers?

I have an 8 year old duaghter that we were told recently has Aspergers, but as I research the disorder I am not certain and I'm wondering if someone could weigh in. Here is my 8 year old in a nut shell ( as much as possible):  I noticed when she was about 2 1/2- 3 years old that she wouln't color/sing/sort/play games, (some thing she still doesn't really enjoy) she had no interst in these things. She loved and still loves all things gross motor skill and being outside, especially since she struggles with fine motor skill things.  Until she was about 5 every color was blue, every drink was milk and every fruit was an apple even though we tried to tell her otherwise.  She has been diagnosed with expressive launguage disorder, a processing disorder, dyslexia, and an auditory processing disorder, adhd and anxiety.... all of which I feel are appropriate, her IQ is fine.  She does the hand flapping thing, ***** her finger almost constanlty (which includes turning it in her mouth) and crosses her legs and rocks back and forth for self stimulation alot.  She has no problem making eye contact or engaging with others, finding humor or emotion...... the problem is that she is is excessively friendly and engaging. There have been times she has met someone for an hour or so and wants to crawl into their lap and hang on them or go home with them or follows them around and gets in their personal space.  She talks alot but conversation is often one sided about whatever she wants because she doesn't totally follow what your saying and she interupts alot to tell you whatevers on her mind.  She says things in front of people that shouldn't be said and doesn't understand social approripate..even for her age.  She isn't very rational so their are LOTS of melt downs. There are many times she will be talking and she'll slump her shoulders foreward, drop her head kinda forward, get a goofy face and voice going and start talking and it's odd.....because she's 8, so people often mistake her for late 5 or 6. She gets stuck on certain things....... her birthday was last month and she still tells people she's 8, like it's brand new even though they have heard it a dozen times, or she insists to hysterics that she's a big girl just because someone says she's a cute little girl. She doesn't empathize well to others and because of it she doesn't share well so it makes it hard for friends to play.  She's also not very flexible about changes to what she thinks the plan is or was going to be She can remember events that have happened and parts of other people's conversations very well....which you wouldn't expect because she doesn't even know what a nickel is.  She is a very sweet girl, wants to help do stuff around the house....... but she is obviously odd
My daughter does a lot of what you describe.  Although, she uses little or no eye contact.  She was diagnosed with high-functioning autism a couple of years ago.  She is now ten and every day there are improvements.  Some days are not so good.  Sometimes I feel it is one step forward and two steps back.