Autism Community
Autism in Females

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Autism in Females

Anytime a girl represents signs of Autism, her symptoms will be different than males. Girls with Autism tend to not show the reckless behavior which is observed in males. Autism affects girls different than males. The actual number of girls/women with Autism is not as often reported because the signs are often missed in female population.
I totally agree that autism often shows up differently in girls than boys. I think it is more difficult to get a diagnosis for a girl than a boy way too often. It took a long time to get a diagnosis for my daughter and I highly doubt she would have one now if it were not for her speech difficulties. Girls are finally starting to get diagnosed more often and this is a very good thing. (It is not where it should be quite yet). I think that we are learning more about autism and are more aware that it shows up differently in everyone. It is a spectrum disorder. Things are going in the right direction.

It depends on where you live and the amount of knowledge that professionals have about autism. Some states take developmental disorders in BOTH girls and boys very seriously. I am thankful to live in one of those states. Despite this I do have to say that my daughter is the only girl her age at the clinic where she receives therapy and the only one in her autism class at school in Kindergarten. There is absolutely something to be said about girls needing more dxs.
What kind of reckless behavior? Have never heard about such a symptom in autism spectrum disorders; neither for boys nor girls.

I agree - in my experience,  autism is usually marked by an overabundance of caution.  

MCM,  are you talking about the difference between boys and girls with ADHD?
Or just the difference of ADD verses ADHD?  
I'm speaking of the fact that being Autistic in girls may show itself much differently than for males. Autism is a complex condition, and more observation is needed, because somehow, Autism in girls is not well-known as of right now. There ARE plenty of girls and women that have Autism, you know? I happen to actually know one: she goes under the name Joanne.
Hi there. Well, certainly autism as a whole can always use more research.  In my area, girls with autism do get as much attention as boys.  We see more of an issue recognizing add from adhd.  Good luck to Joanne.  

The symptoms are clinical the same for both boys and girls. My own experience in meeting girls with autism spectrum disorders confirm the clinical view; I have yet to find a girl with autism spectrum disorder who differ from my self and other boys with autism spectrum disorder I know in talk of symptoms.
I too have not found it to be the case that girls with autism are much different or underdiagnosed compared to boys in my area.  Same clinical manifestations with early intervention given when identified.  

Often parents themselves are the issue when it comes to diagnosing a child.  They find ways to rationalize things and people around them can mention autsim for a good while before they are able to accept that enough to look into it for their child.  Most parents want to help their kids but I think fear of the unknown can hold them back early on.