Autism?
I have some concerns with my 5 1/2 year old son. He started Kindergarten this year, and seems to be doing really well, other than his handwriting, which is slowly improving. His teacher has told me that he has very low muscle tone in his hands, which we have been working on each night with activities that his teacher sent home. I have noticed that he switches back & forth between both hands when writing/coloring, and can do well with each hand. Also, when he gets excited, he 'flaps' his hands. He has done this since he was a baby, and we thought it was cute and he would grow out of it. Now, I've been told that flapping, ambidexterity & low muscle tone in the hands are all signs of Autism. If he does have Autism, I know that it's a very mild case, but I want to do everything possible to help him now, rather than waiting for more signs to appear. Any advice is appreciated!
The only person who can tell you if he is Autistic is a developmental ped.  If you feel you want him to see one you should call his regular ped, and get a referral.  Next step would be to get his doctor to sign off on getting him an OT or an SLP.
I would also talk to the school district about your concerns. They are equipped to screen children for autism, although they cannot give out a diagnosis. Generally schools also have a pretty good idea of what to look for.
I think your concerns are valid and you should ask your doctor about getting him a referral for evaluation.