Autism Community
Autism

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Autism

I have a 4 year old cousin named Alex. When he was younger we noticed he was different than other children. My aunt has failed to get him tested as she thinks he will grow out of it, but its pretty obvious he wont and she is denial. I think he is autistic because He can only say a few words and most of the time grunts and points when he needs or wants something, he walks around on his tippy toes, and has a hard time adjusting to change(he gets upset and throws a fit and can get violent; such as biting and punching) he seems very cold when it comes to feelings. If my aunt spanks him he doesn't react. And most of the time it seems as if he is in his own world(doesn't respond to his name) His hearing is fine my aunt had it tested. He doesn't like to eat but he still drinks out of bottles and still wears diapers. But for some reason he is really good at playing video games. My Aunts other son Devin has a touch of Autism. I'm just wondering if Alex has it full blown.
Hi does sound like he has traits of autism obsessive behaviour is a trait also very particular on there food drink speech , i have two daughters one with high functioning apergers an the other a typical autism an im starting too see see traits in my four year old gets very emotional will only eat certain foods he was three when he come out of nappies but my eldest daughter whos thirteen never came out of them an only stopped wetting last year shes a typical an even though i seeked help couldnt get it till she was in her teens your aunt needs too go too a paediatrician which her doctor will refer its crucial for him she gets the help an support they both need eight years it took too get a diagnosis for my eldest an believe me she leaves it that long it will have massive effect on his ability to learn socialise and function hope this helps x
Thank you (: I will let her know.
That definitely sounds like autism. Toe walking is a form of stimming and the speech delay is a significant indicator of autism. The good thing is he is trying to communicate and wants his voice to be heard. With therapy I bet you would see a big difference. You absolutely should never spank or hit a child with special needs. I have had this harped into my head by all of my daughter's therapists. The only thing it teaches the child is fear and that hitting is ok. They do not understand it is a punishment. It is common for children on the spectrum to prefer drinking over eating. My daughter drinks a lot of Boost Kid Essentials and V8Fusion. I hope they talk to a doctor about a good diet. Good luck!