Autistic Son has fear of chuldren dying
My Son is Seven and diagnosed with ASD five years ago. Recently if he has seen the news and a child has died he gets extreamly distressed up until now its not really been an issue. At present they are doing the Great Fire of London at school and I believe in the first week of school they watched a cartoon about how it happened and how many people died including children, now he is having nightmares finding it difficult to get to sleep and really upset about going to school. I have spoken with the school and therapists who have recommended social stories but a social story on Death is pretty final, I would rather he stayed with the main class as this topic is with them until Christmas but at the moment they ae looking at taking him out for more 1:1 during this time. I feel i am only putting off future problems..... does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone experienced this sort of thing?
I would view this not as putting off problems, but helping him cope until he is better prepared to deal with it.  Both of my children have an ASD diagnosis.  Emotional things an hit pretty hard.  My son is like this about animals (he's just about to turn 7).  He absolutely goes to a million pieces when the ASPCA commercials come on, has nightmares, asks me endless questions about my childhood cat who expired of old age (who he never even met), and so on.  I think the school's choice to do more 1:1 is probably the best option.  Good luck to you.