Autism Community
Does my 22 month old son have autism symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Hi, I may be being to cautious, but I'm a but concerned. I have a 22 month old son, who isn't speaking the greatest. I so don't understand what drs or websites mean by saying two word sentences. He does say love you, thank you(kind of hard to understand) are you, and uh oh. Maybe others but he speaks ALOT baby babble. He says a handful of singular words such as: truck (cruck) , momma, daddy, nana, pappy, hi, ect. Should he be saying more at his age? He can identify facial features, arms, legs,elbows, belly, most all body parts. He does seem to have a repetitive behavior. He's fascinated by tires, but I thought it was because they move. He will push a car back and forth for a while or spin in circles but laughs and falls down bc he's dizzy. Reading the Internet really made a freak out about certain behaviors he has. He points and shows me what he wants, he understands commands like "put your toys away" and throw your trash away. He does seems to cry every night I put him to sleep, but it's been like that since I took him binky away. He plays alone a lot, but he's the only child, but will play with kids when he's around them. He waves, blows kisses, makes funny faces, smiles, goofs around. He throws fits, but their normal (small and over them in 5mins) am I overreacting? Or should he be talking more? Any advice would be nice, thank you!
Also, he was a later crawler at 10 months and walked at 15 months.
hi in all honesty i dont think you have anything to worry about...from what your saying he is just a loved child and so devolping at a loved pace...he is healthy and happy...im 38 now and i was walking wen i was 18 months..yet my baby brother who is 11 months younger than me was 9 months wen he was walking...he will come into his own when he is ready...from what you say he is healthy and happy...im sure he will be talking your ear off and then your problems will start lol.....best of wishes
Sounds like a wonderful boy you've got there. Although personally I think its best if you're reallly concerned about it that you talk to his pediatrician about it and see what they have to say about it. My little cousin who's going on 5 in two weeks was recently diagnosed with autism. When he was a baby he seemed just fine normal cute little baby he had started saying words when he'd come to my house he'd say 'meatball' cause he'd be lookin for my dog well eventally as he got older we noticed that he stopped talking his behavior was different as well. So we took him to see a Pediatric Neurologist and thats when he was diagnosed with a reallly minor level of autism. He does the exact same things you said your son does as far as playing alone and when he wants something he'll pull your arm and point with it. Another way you might be able to tell is if you get in his face and look him in the eyes and see if he looks back at you or just looks away right away usually autistic kids wont look at you if you talk to them and they kind of zone you out cause they don't have a high attention span. I think its best you talk to a professional youve got         nothing to loose. sorry for the loong post hope this encourages you to at least talk to his pediatrician :) good luck!
He has good eye contact, always has. Just a lack of words that can be understood. He baby babbles a lot.
It is quite common for 2 year olds to babble. He sounds like he is doing great...eye contact, 1 step directions, etc. My daughter has autism and she is 6. She struggles with eye contact and still babbles a lot, but can finally follow most 1 step directions. If your child is still acting like a 2 year old at 6, then I'd worry. One thing that stands out to me about your child is that he gets dizzy, MOST autistic children cannot get dizzy. My daughter certainly doesn't. Obviously the best people to talk to about this would be his doctor and someone else who knows him. It is hard to say for sure over the internet because we have never met him.
I talk to my family about it and they tell me he's fine and is just a normal two year old. I've just seen two year olds talking so much better. Which I know kids learn at their own pace. I just freak over every little thing. He sea absolutely happy and learns well to me. Just small things l notice, but nice asked friends who have children my sons age and they tell me their kids do the same thing. I'll speak to his doctor tho, just for a piece of mind.
It is good to find peace of mind and relax. It will help you enjoy being a parents and just take it one step at a time. If something is wrong, you'll know. And the good news is you'll do something right away instead of ignoring it. Sounds like you are doing a great job! I wouldn't worry too much.
Took my son to the doctor today for a nasty cough and asked him about his lack of speech. He told me he's not even two and boys develop a little slower. He said to give it a few months and see how things progress. And actually he's been a little talking machine today! Some words can be understood and others are gibberish. I have faith that he will start talking well very soon. Thank you all for all the input it's very much appreciated!!
I would talk to a early childhood specialist. I have two children on the autism spectrum. A 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. The drs in my opinion know nothing about autism. There are drs you see when you have a cold, then there are trained autism specalist. My 2  year old daughter talks babbles. Spins which is called stimming or sensory issues. My 5 year old dose not talk, non verbal. He loves his peers and acts like a normal 5 year old but cant communicate. The autism spectrum is a BIG spectrum. They always say, if you see one child with autism thats just it, you have seen one child with autism no 2 are the same. For your child and early detection i would see a autism specialist or early childhood development. Good luck, i wish you.the best!
I agree with Annie. To be on the safe side it's best to get the child assessed. My child had difficulties in communication but the paeds kept brushing it aside. Later when I realised at 2 and a half years I did feel bad cause the earlier you start speech therapy you see faster mprovements.
The type of behavior you are seeing is somewhat normal.  It took 9 1/2 yrs for someone to diagnose my son because they wanted to chalk it up to ADHD. Seek out a knowledgable doctor but be carefull there are those that will say any child has it when they don't. My son is very smart, but serious social issues and aggression.

Good Luck!
I appreciate everyone's insight. He's doing a lot better. Talking a lot more and acting like a normally progressed two year old. If I feel any other kind of concern I will take him somewhere to be checked. Thank you all.
Good to hear!