Autism Community
Does my nephew have some form of Autism?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Does my nephew have some form of Autism?

My nephew is 12 years old and will soon be in 7th grade. My family has been extremly concerned about him for many years. He doesn't behave like your average 12 year old (although we know every child is different) he's very very immature. He refuses to play with other kids (unless they are family) because he says he would rather play with his "imagination". He can't seem to grasp basic concepts of personal hygiene which causes issues with other kids in school. He just learned how to button his own pants less than 2 years ago which caused an issue with wetting himself during school because he couldn't unbutton his own pants. He is very intelligent with math and history but struggles in other subjects. He is still very emotionally attached to stuffed animals, to the point that he can't sleep without them and he carries them around with while he is at home. When he does play with other children he's only willing to play games that he has made up and will not try anything else. He inturrupts conversations and can't stay on one topic for any extended period of time. He seems to get lost in his own world and blocks everything else out. He is over weight and he still speaks like someone 5 or 6 years younger. He will only eat a few types of food and if he is given other foods that are not in that small group he will start gagging or vomit, he does the same thing with any type of medication liquid or pills.One other thing that has recently started happening is when he is speaking to someone he will stop speaking suddenly mid word or mid thought and his eyes will roll up and he will start rapidly blinking for a short period of time and when he snaps out of it he has no idea why he did that or even that he did that.  He's going into the 7th grade and we are really worried that the kids will finally start to notice him a little more and that he is going to be a target for bullying. We have tried to speak with his mom about these concerns and she gets very angry and says he's just immature but we think it's more than that. I have been doing research for the past few years on this problem and I have had no luck nailing down what this could be if it is anything at all. Any help would be appreciated.