"He's on the spectrum.." vs. "No way is he Autistic"
My 4 year old grandson has been observed for several hours by a trained physicians, who labeled him as a "high functioning autistic".  This classification has opened doors to special developmental education for him.  During a recent parent/teacher meeting the teacher pulled my son aside and said "I know your son has been classified as being on the spectrum, but in my opinion there's no way that he's autistic". She added that her opinion is just that, and that she would keep that fact to herself so as not to upset his developmental education.  So how do we reconcile these two differing opinions?  There is definitely something different about our grandson.  His vocabulary is extensive, but his speech is terrible, he is not toilet tranied and continues to wear pullups.  But he has a gregarious personality, always smiling, plays well with other children, yaks away, and is extremely active.  But he exhibits behaviors that could be associated to "stimming", such as haveing a penchant for lining objects up, or placing his Hot Wheels in precise colums and rows.  He will also smack himself on the top of his head or pull up his shirt and slap his belly.  He is also eats very poorly, dislikes just about everything, and is rail thin.  What should we do?  Should we allow him to continue on this current developmental path, and see how he develops, or should we seek further evaluation?  We have very mixed feelings about this and wpuld appreciate any suggestions you can offer.
The teacher in no way has the right to say what she did. Does she know that it is a spectrum disorder and that people can have very mild autism? It sounds like she does not know much about autism. I would talk to the director and tell him/her what the teacher said. If the doctors believe that he has autism go with what they say over one teacher. I would definitely seek further evaluation and utilize as many resources as you can to help him. It will make the whole rest of his life better.