Autism Community
How can I help my kids?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

How can I help my kids?

I was reading recently that there is 1 child out of 110 who as a form of autism.

Well my problem reside there, we live in a small communauty and my 2 autistic kids goes to regular school. There is only 270 kids in the school from kinder garden to 6th grades. And there is a great total of 3 autistic and 1 trisomic kids and no other with handicap (wheel-chair ect).

Every other day my asperger daughter comes back home telling that she does not want to go back to school. I ask her questions but she wont answer them. So I ask the school and they tell my that there is no bullying in their school!!!!!! And then one day in last june my two kids come back with damaged clothing and school bag, I ask once again my daughter but she wont say anything. Latter that night when I'm giving the bath to my youngest I notice scatches on her, so I ask wath happend and she look lost and then tell me that: someone did knock knock and push and say me stupid. So the next day I called the school again and get the same answer I got all year: There is no bulling in our school.

So I'm worried, school start back in no time, my eldest in not going to be in the same playground than my yougest this year and I fear that the same kids that was taking on them last year (I don't know who they are!) will be pushing my yougest again this year. I never found no bruise or scatch on my eldest so I presume that they didn't push her since that she can tell on them! So I'm wondering how I can make sure that my kids are not been bullied?

I mean its not a big school and my eldest is going to be the only ''strange'' kid in her playground (sory to say that but I heard parents refering to my kids like that!!!) and my yougest can express if something append except if ask in a maner that she might answer.

Thanks to have read my, and I'm opens to your sugestions.

Drew
This is an absolutely awful situation to be in.  I have kids that are autistic and we are in somewhat of the same situation. We live in a small town and services are limited.  have you ever thought of homeschooling, though I do think that peers can be very helpful at times for their social development.  You could also teach them things to say where they would feel empowered to act if they get bullied....
I did thought about homeschooling, but my family doesnt realy agree. It is somewhat expensive and I think they belive that because I am myself an Aspie they dont belive I could make it happend.

And for teaching them things to do or say went they feel that they are getting bullied I think it worked for my eldest, but not for my youngest.

I heard that we are having a new direction at the shcool this year, I'm going to make an appointment and try to explain my position with them.

Thank you for your time, I went to regular school and yes you are right it help for social development and it also help to build you a strong shield, but my mother was a VERY stong woman.

Drew