Autism Community
Is excessive eye rubbing a stim behavior?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
My son has been recently diagnosed with ASD at age 25 mo. He constantly rubs his eyes. We thought it could be allergies, never thought of it as a stim behavior. Interesting question, anxious to hear some feedback.
Blank
365714_tn?1292202708
It could be it starts off as a reaction to itchy eyes but becomes more like a stem if it's continued. I used to rub my eyes a lot, because it felt better. Also it removed  dried "sandman" stuff at the corners of my eyes. I do have allergies and my eyes itch from time to time, like right now. (thanks to the maple trees outside and spring). I don't rub my eyes unless I have washed my hands or use a clean tissue.  As a kid though it didn't bother me.

Not that this behavior is strictly related to autism, but hypersensitivity can lead to these behaviors and Hypersensitivity is pretty common with autism.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Autism Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...