Autism Community
Is my grandson autistic?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Is my grandson autistic?

My 28 mo old grandson doesn't talk, he doesn't respond when his name is called, but will come running into the room when he hears the music from his favorite tv show. He will run in place and flap his arms and giggle, even if there is nothing funny going on, and nothing on the tv. He seems very smart, I gave him a wooden puzzle with the alphabet on it and he finished it in less than 30 seconds the very first time he tried it, he did the same thing with a number puzzle 0-9 numbers. I would like to discuss this with my Son, but I don't want to offend him, but I know the sooner he is diagnosed, the better the outcome may be. Any suggestions?
It's tough when you are not the parent because there are certain boundaries that you don't want to cross.  The speech delay and not responding to his name are definitely red flags, but you know, if these are typical behaviors for him, I would be willing to bet that his parents have already noticed and may just not be ready to talk about it. If you do bring it up to your son, do it in a casual way and if he seems uncomfortable with the subject don't push it. If you are able to spend a lot of time with your grandson, you can help him by trying to guide him away from the repetitive behaviors (running, flapping) to more productive play where he is interacting with you. Stories, nursery rhymes, and songs can also be helpful. Try to encourage lots of eye contact during play, and applaud him for any efforts he makes to communicate. He is very lucky to have a grandmother who is so attuned to him.