Autism Community
Is my son Autistic?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Is my son Autistic?

I hope this is the correct thread to post this but I am in some serious need of help trying to find answers to helping my 8 year old son. Since he was born until the age of 5, my son has always interacted with my husband and I (Before he recently left). My son really never played with any other children. His speech is very poor for his age, odd behavior as if he has the mind of a 5 year old but he is turning 9 this March. The way he talks with people, repeating his sentences, how he interacts with other children compared to how the other children act and play. When he would have homework of making something up, a story for example. He could never do it. I hear him talking to himself when he is in another room. I have to teach him simple things that children his age should already know, yet he seems to forget how to do it the following day. I continue to teach him these things but its like he just completely forgets. I give him tasks around the house and sometimes multiple to see if he can remember those and he forgets less then 1 minute later.  I try to have conversations with him, just to bond or just to have him talk about whatever is on his mind, but he seems to be only mimic what I have said in the past. I hope this is enough information to maybe get some insight of where I should go to get my son some help. I have had a few people, including his past principal tell me that he may be autistic. Please please someone help or direct me to a few websites to get more information. Thank You

Concerned Parent.
I almost forget to add, which I think is very important. He seems to have an issue with loud sounds. He is always covering his ears if I am running the vacuum or something. Btw, with his speech delay no he has never had any issues with his ears, tubes etc. Doctors always ask that ****.
It sounds very much like autism to me.  My oldest son is autistic and he has many of the behaviours you have described.  I don't know what the treatment route for an 8 year old would be considering that most schools of thought focus on early intervention.  You should definately get him dianosed and see what your options are from there, it doesn't hurt to know for sure and to get all the resources available to you.
oh my...yes, this sounds very much like my boy.good news is, Autism has a wide spectrum.There is great help out there.,google it. Speech delays, loud noises, inabilty to relate to others, poor eye contact, self stimulation.pressing his body or head on or at things. My son has to ensure his nap sack is a certail weight for school for stimulation on his back....its heavy! I thought it was a sentence.Once you have the tools its a gift. Fear not sister,  God made these kids specially for us.
When the Autism isnt crucially visible these kids are seen as rude and badly behaved which make our job as Moms a definate challenge.my email is ***@**** if you need to chat or ask questions.Ive been through it all.
Please take your child to a develomental pediatrician or  Psicology specialist in autism, the best way to help children  with autism is very early in their 5 first years, but never is late but its very clear that your child is autistic, I am sorry to tell you this, my Daugther was diagnostic with PDD NOS at 2 1/2 years old and  I red a lot about autism, please dont stop helping your child everytime, re-direct his behavior. Look for teraphy and  see how the terapist do and you can learn how to work at home with your soon, I did this with my daugther all the time and also buy games that languaje terapist use and play  at home with your child and at the same time your teach him languaje, ALSO VERY IMPORTANT ENVOLVE TO YOUR SON WITH ONE FRIEND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, JUST ONE FRIEND SO HI CAN DEVELOPT HOW TO  PLAY ONE TO ONE AND LEARND MORE HOW TO SOCIALIZE. I did this with my daugther, She is fine now not more diagnostic fortunally but I worked with her  constantly and very close all the time. You can help a lot your son star soon. I wish you the best.
This langujae forum helped me a lot about languaje to my child.  http://www.speechdelay.com/, Again good luck AND LOOK FOR HELP SOON.
I hope you read this because I just happened on to this site about auditory processing disorders. It sounds very much like what you were describing. Here are the list of symptoms as listed on the website http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/ears/central_auditory.html

Symptoms
***Is your child easily distracted or unusually bothered by loud or sudden noises? ***
Are noisy environments upsetting to your child?
Does your child's behavior and performance improve in quieter settings?
Does your child have difficulty following directions, whether simple or complicated?
Does your child have reading, spelling, writing, or other speech-language difficulties?
Is abstract information difficult for your child to comprehend?
Are verbal (word) math problems difficult for your child?
Is your child disorganized and forgetful?
Are conversations hard for your child to follow?

Hope this helps and I'm not too late.
Thanks for the link. That sounds very interesting. I think I hit on many of those. I notice I too deal with forgetfulness described like that and I was worried about it.