Autism Community
Is my son really Autistic?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Is my son really Autistic?

I have a 3 year old son. He had tubes inserted in his ears when he was 2 because the fluid build up was so intesne that he couldnt hear properly. of course, he didnt speak until after the operation. Now he has a very wide vocabulary but will not engage in a conversation or speak full sentences. He would say for example "want milk" "come with me" "come outside" and stuff like that. I wanted to take him to a speech therapist but the drs insisted that I take him to a neuro pediatric. She classified him as very mild autistic in the 30 minutes she saw him. The reasons where:

1- He flapped his hands a bit
2- She gave him a car. He played with it normally on the floor but when he gave it to her, he turned it around and spun the wheel like once or twice.
3- He wanted the car back and when she didnt give it to him, he threw himself on the floor and started crying.

Now, my son has great eye contact. If I was not looking at him and he wants to speak to me, he will put his hand on my face to force me to look at him. He doesnt like to play alone as he always insists that me or his mom or anyone available at the house to play with him. He is social although these past months he is aggressive towards other children. He will still join a group while they are playing if he sees them in a mall and he starts running with them. He points, waves, claps, plays with all his toys in the right way. Last night, we had my aunt visiting and he doesnt see her much at all, he went to his room and got his Ipad and was so excited to show it to her...he was like "see Ipad" "show Ipad" and he was teaching her on it !

I am so astonished by this diagnoses ! In addition to the above, my son never liked to play alone. When we are at home..he is always like "daddy, come" or "mommy sit sit" when he wants us to play basketball with him or sit down to assemble a puzzle. when we go to my dad's house, as soon as he enters, he says "hello grandpa". His mother was acting like she was crying today and put her hands on her face...he came and removed her hands from her face and told her "why sad" then he hugged and kissed her !

What do you guys think?
I think that it's impossible to give a diagnosis from 30 minutes of observation.  I'm really surprised the doctor classified him so quickly.  I'm in the process of having my 18 month old  evaluated for autism and I was given the impression that it'd be months before they could be sure if it is or not.  It's probably easier to diagnose a 3 year old than a 1.5 year old, but still.  Do you have a follow up appointment?  I would push to see a speech therapist if that's what your gut is telling you.  
Also, I would think a speech evaluation would be necessary to determine if he's on the spectrum or not.  I'm not totally sure about these procedures because I'm just starting out but if your son's pediatrition isn't listening to your concerns you can contact your school district directly and request that your son be given a speech evaluation.  Good luck.