Autism Community
Lamictal and Respirone for child with autism

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

I have an 8 year old child with autism.  He has been taking respirdone for the past year for aggressive self-injurious behavior.  He has been diagnosed by a pedatric neurologist as having complex partial seizures with a recommendation starting on lamictal for the seizures.  Is this combination of drugs safe?  I have read about the serious side effects of lamictal and about possible drug interactions between lamictalan resirdone.  What side effects should we expect and which ones pose a danger to our child?
Oh my goodness.  I am so sorry this is a situation you have to figure out.  I'm the mother of an 8 year old as well and doing what is best for them in these situations can cause a lot of anxiety as we figure it out.  We are their advocates and want to be sure we are making the best choices.  

First, let me say that your best sourse of answers to your questions are the prescribing physicians.  They take an oath to treat their patients with the best of care and would not want to add anything in a child's drug regimen that would have more side effects than benefits.  That I am sure of.  But that does not address the risks in general which you should be made aware of.  I would call the doctor or email them or set up another appointment and ask every question you have directly to them.

There is a moderate drug interaction with lamectil and risperidone.  It can be something like tiredness or being dizzy.  Or it can be an increase in depression, psychomotor issues.  They do typically watch someone that takes these drugs in combination very closely.  

do they feel the seizures are related to the risperdal or on their own??  
What specialmom said is correct, the prescribing physicians are the ones who can best answer these questions. I would call them as soon as you can to get these answers.

Have you ever considered getting a autism/seizure dog for your child? My daughter who has ASD has a service dog and he has made a huge difference in her life. Not only would the dog help prevent the self-harming behavior, but he/she could alert you when a seizure was happening. If you want help figuring out where to get one, let me know.

Do you also have a PCA? A personal care assistant comes in your home to help you out. It's sort of like in-home respite care. The insurance approves your for so many hours and even pays for it. It's been a life saver for us.