Autism Community
MRI with sedation

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

MRI with sedation

Some insight would be wonderful.  We had our 18 month old daughter to the neurologist the other day.  Currently she is diagnosed with PDD and will be receiving occupational, speech and physical therapy.  The neurologist would like her to have an MRI with sedation, an EEG and of course some bloodwork.

Can you tell me your thoughts and experiences with the MRI with sedation?  DH and I are split on the subject.  We will be discussing with her pediatrician tomorrow as well.
My daughter will be 24 months old next month. She has had two MRI's done with sedation. It sounds scary than it really is. All they do is put in an IV or they may chose to use the mask. This puts her to sleep in about 10 seconds. They will sleep peacefully while lying with their head inside the MRI machine. Most hospitals will allow you to stay untill she falls asleep but than they will make you leave and meet them in her recovery room. The recovery room is where she will go untill the sedation wears off. They will hook up a ekg to monitor her heart, bloop pressure cuff, and that thing that goes around their toe or finger to monitor pulse, respirations and oxygen levels. This is all normal after sedation. Once the sedation wears off she is good to go home. It usually takes about 20 minutes for MRI and an hour in recovery. As for the EEG that is a real pain in the neck. They will hook up all these little wires to her head with this special glue and wrap a bandage around her head to protect the wires from coming off. The part that is a real pain is preventing the child from grabbing and pulling the wires off. That is worse to deal with than The MRI. My daughter has Infantile Spasms with is a severe case of Epilepsy and she also goes to PT, OT and speech. She has other medical issues as well and has been in and out of hospitals, and doctors offices her whole life so if you have any more questions feel free to let me know. Good Luck!
I do not know about MRI with sedation.That is a tough call at any age especially with a child with a disability. I just want to let you know that along with the EEG you might want to look at a her having an MEG here is a site that will tell you why both are important:
http://www.alexianbrothershealth.org/services/neurosciences/services/MEG-Brain-Mapping/index.aspx

I hope you get the answers you need,

achilles2
Thank you both for the feedback.  After much discussion, speaking with our pediatrician and the advice of the neurologist, we have decided to wait on the MRI.  We will see how her therapies go in the next 6 months.  Since Lexi has not had any further regression and has actually shown some rapid improvement, all feel there is no rush to have this completed.  Keep your fingers crossed for us, with any luck they will reverse her PDD diagnosis.